H.G. (Ruth) Huizinga, PhD
Department of Immunology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam.
Immune-mediated neuropathies are acute and chronic diseases of the peripheral nervous system, in which B cells and antibodies play a central role. The Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) is the prime example of an antibody-mediated disease caused by molecular mimicry with microbes like Campylobacter jejuni and Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Antibodies are directed against glycolipids highly expressed in the nerve. Immune-mediated neuropathies are treated with high-dose intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIg). Our group investigates the mechanisms of disease, i.e. how are B cells activated, what are targets for antibodies. Additionally, we investigate the pharmacokinetics and –dynamics of IVIg in GBS and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP).
5 recent publications related to B-cells and antibodies
- Brem MD, Jacobs BC, van Rijs W, Fokkink WJ, Tio-Gillen AP, Walgaard C, van Doorn PA, Ijspeert H, van der Burg M and Huizinga R. IVIg-induced plasmablasts in Guillain-Barré syndrome. Ann Clin Transl Neurol 2018 Nov 27;6(1):129-143
- Meyer Sauteur PM, Huizinga R, Tio-Gillen AP, Drenthen J, Unger WWJ, Jacobs E, van Rossum AMC and Jacobs BC (2018). Intrathecal antibody responses to GalC in Guillain-Barré syndrome triggered by Mycoplasma pneumoniae. J Neuroimmunol 314:13-16.
- Meyer Sauteur PM, Huizinga R, Tio-Gillen AP, Roodbol J, Hoogenboezem T, Jacobs E, van Rijn M, van der Eijk AA, Vink C, De Wit MC, Van Rossum AM, Jacobs BC (2016). Mycoplasma pneumoniae triggering the Guillain-Barré syndrome: a case-control study. Ann Neurol 80: 566-80.
- Franquesa M, Mensah FK, Huizinga R, Boon L, Lombardo E, de la Rosa O, Laman JD, Grinyo JM, Weimar W, Betjes MGH, Baan CC and Hoogduijn MJ (2014). Human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells abrogate plasmablast formation and induce regulatory B cells independently of T helper cells. Stem Cells 33: 880-91.
- Huizinga R, Van Rijs W, Bajramovic JJ, Kuijf ML, Laman JD, Samsom JN and Jacobs BC (2013). Sialylation of Campylobacter jejuni endotoxin promotes dendritic cell mediated B-cell responses through CD14-dependent production of IFN-β and TNF-α. J Immunol 191: 5636-45.
Currently supervising the PhD research of Sander van Tilburg. Pharmacokinetics of IVIg in GBS and CIDP.
Workpackage leader WP7.