Rocco Sciarillo PhD
Dep. of Immunopathology, Sanquin Research.
Throughout my early scientific career I gained experience in diverse fields ranging from pharmaceutical biotechnology to molecular oncology. During my early academic education I developed a genuine interest in the characterization and production of therapeutic monoclonal antibodies. My PhD was aimed at discovering new mechanisms of cancer drug resistance based on alternative splicing by applying RNA-seq on primary leukemic samples and testing novel spliceosome modulators in-vitro and in-vivo. My role within the consortium is to study N-glycosylation of antibody variable domain in several B-cell related autoimmune diseases and malignancies and unravel their biological roles and clinical significance.
5 recent publications related to B-cells and antibodies
- Complete humanization of the mouse immunoglobulin loci enables efficient therapeutic antibody discovery. Lee EC, Liang Q, Ali H, Bayliss L, Beasley A, Bloomfield-Gerdes T, Bonoli L, Brown R, Campbell J, Carpenter A, Chalk S, Davis A, England N, Fane-Dremucheva A, Franz B, Germaschewski V, Holmes H, Holmes S, Kirby I, Kosmac M, Legent A, Lui H, Manin A, O’Leary S, Paterson J, Sciarrillo R, Speak A, Spensberger D, Tuffery L, Waddell N, Wang W, Wells S, Wong V, Wood A, Owen MJ, Friedrich GA, Bradley A. Nat Biotechnol. 2014 Apr;32(4):356-63. doi: 10.1038/nbt.2825.
- Glucocorticoid Resistant Pediatric Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Samples Display Altered Splicing Profile and Vulnerability to Spliceosome Modulation. Sciarrillo R, Wojtuszkiewicz A, Kooi IE, Leon LG, Sonneveld E, Kuiper RP, Jansen G, Giovannetti E, Kaspers GJL, Cloos J. Cancers (Basel). 2020 Mar 19;12(3):723. doi: 10.3390/cancers12030723.
- Splicing modulation as novel therapeutic strategy against diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. Sciarrillo R, Wojtuszkiewicz A, El Hassouni B, Funel N, Gandellini P, Lagerweij T, Buonamici S, Blijlevens M, Zeeuw van der Laan EA, Zaffaroni N, Deraco M, Kusamura S, Würdinger T, Peters GJ, Molthoff CFM, Jansen G, Kaspers GJL, Cloos J, Giovannetti E. EBioMedicine. 2019 Jan;39:215-225. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2018.12.025.
- Using RNA-sequencing to Detect Novel Splice Variants Related to Drug Resistance in In Vitro Cancer Models. Sciarrillo R, Wojtuszkiewicz A, Kooi IE, Gómez VE, Boggi U, Jansen G, Kaspers GJ, Cloos J, Giovannetti E. J Vis Exp. 2016 Dec 9;(118):54714. doi: 10.3791/54714.
- The association of aberrant folylpolyglutamate synthetase splicing with ex vivo methotrexate resistance and clinical outcome in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Wojtuszkiewicz A, Assaraf YG, Hoekstra M, Sciarrillo R, Jansen G, Peters GJ, Pieters R, Sonneveld E, Escherich G, Kaspers GJ, Cloos J. Haematologica. 2016 Jul;101(7):e291-4. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2016.142794.
Member of workpackages 3 and 6.