Prof. dr. Rudi W. Hendriks
My research focuses on the molecular biology of the developmental and functional program of lymphocytes. The aims comprise characterization of signal transduction pathways, lymphoid-specific transcription factors and epigenetic regulation that implement cellular survival, differentiation and proliferation at specific checkpoints. A main line of research is the identification of the function of Bruton’s tyrosine kinase (Btk), which is involved in various signalling pathways in B cells, including the B cell antigen receptor. We particularly study aberrant Btk activation and effects of BTK inhibition in mature B cells in systemic autoimmune disease, interstitial lung disease and leukemia in human and animal models.
Full publication list:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Hendriks+RW&sort=date
- Rip J, de Bruijn MJW, Kaptein A, Hendriks RW, Corneth OBJ. Phosphoflow Protocol for Signaling Studies in Human and Murine B Cell Subpopulations. J Immunol. 2020 May 15;204(10):2852-2863.
- Pal Singh S, de Bruijn MJW, Velaso Gago da Graça C, Corneth OBJ, Rip J, Stadhouders R, Meijers RWJ, Schurmans S, Kerr WG, Ter Burg J, Eldering E, Langerak AW, Pillai SY, Hendriks RW. Overexpression of SH2-Containing Inositol Phosphatase Contributes to Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Survival. J Immunol. 2020 Jan 15;204(2):360-374.
- Rip J, de Bruijn MJW, Appelman MK, Pal Singh S, Hendriks RW, Corneth OBJ. Toll-Like Receptor Signaling Drives Btk-Mediated Autoimmune Disease. Front Immunol. 2019 Jan 30;10:95.
- Pal Singh S, Dammeijer F, Hendriks RW. Role of Bruton’s tyrosine kinase in B cells and malignancies. Mol Cancer. 2018 Feb 19;17(1):57.
- Corneth OBJ, Verstappen GMP, Paulissen SMJ, de Bruijn MJW, Rip J, Lukkes M, van Hamburg JP, Lubberts E, Bootsma H, Kroese FGM, Hendriks RW. Enhanced Bruton’s Tyrosine Kinase Activity in Peripheral Blood B Lymphocytes From Patients With Autoimmune Disease. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017 Jun;69(6):1313-1324.
Supervision of PhD awarded candidates (research related to B-Cells and antibodies)
- de Weers, Molecular analyses of Bruton’s tyrosine kinase, State University Leiden, 29th Nov 1995
- Maas, Studies on the function of Bruton’s tyrosine kinase in B cell development, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 16th Dec 1998
- Middendorp, Btk at the pre-BCR checkpoint, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 19th May 2004
- Kersseboom, Control of B cell development by thesignaling proteins Btk and Slp65, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 5th March 2008
- Ribeiro de Almeida, CTCF: a crucial regulator of Gene Expression in lymphocytes, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 17th Nov 2010
- Ta, Role of pre-BCR signaling molecules in B cell differentiation and tumor suppression, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 15th Dec 2010
- Gloudemans, Induction of IgA as a therapeutic intervention in allergic asthma, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 14th Dec 2012
- Kil, Btk in autoimmunity and leukemia: too much of a good thing, 3rd Dec 2013
- van Beek, The aging immune sytem and nutritional interventions (2nd promotor), 18th January 2017
- Pal Singh Signal transduction pathways in CLL, 29th October 2019
- Muggen, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: The B cell receptor and beyond, 7th January 2020
Currently supervising PhD research of
- Heukels, Loss of immune homeostasis in interstitial lung disease
- J. Rip, The role of btk in immune cell signaling and systemic autoimmunity
- S. Neys, Dysregulation of BCR signaling in autoimmunity
Workpackage leader of WP2 and member of WP5.