Dr. Lisa van Baarsen
Amsterdam Rheumatology and immunology Center (ARC), Department of Clinical Immunology & Rheumatology Center and Department of Experimental Immunology, Academic Medical Center|University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Over the past years I gained extensive experience in translational research focused on personalized medicine, biomarker discovery and lymph node immunobiology. By combining my genomics and immunology expertise with unique patient cohort tissue samples my ultimate goal is to unravel the molecular and biological processes leading to systemic autoimmune diseases and to develop innovative preventive strategies. By studying unique human lymphoid and synovial tissue biopsies obtained during the pre-clinical and earliest phases of rheumatoid arthritis, it is my ambition to lay the foundation for the development of novel therapies to prevent and treat this chronic disabling immune-mediated autoimmune disease.
5 recent publications related to B-cells and antibodies
- Nadafi R, Gago de Graça C, Keuning ED, Koning JJ, de Kivit S, Konijn T, Henri S, Borst J, Reijmers RM, van Baarsen LGM, Mebius RE. Lymph Node Stromal Cells Generate Antigen-Specific Regulatory T Cells and Control Autoreactive T and B Cell Responses. Cell Rep. 24 30(12):4110-4123.e4 (2020).
- Ramwadhdoebe T.H., van Baarsen L.G.M., Boumans M.J.H., Bruijnen S.T.G., Safy M., Berger F.H., Semmelink J.F., van der Laken C.J., Gerlag D.M., Thurlings R.M., Tak P.P.. Effect of rituximab treatment on T and B cell subsets in lymph node biopsies of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2019 Jan 10.
- Karouzakis E, Hähnlein J, Grasso C, Semmelink JF, Tak PP, Gerlag DM, Gay S, Ospelt C*, van Baarsen LGM*. Molecular Characterization of Human Lymph Node Stromal Cells During the Earliest Phases of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Front Immunol. 2019 Aug 20;10:1863. 716
- Ramwadhdoebe TH, Ramos MI, Maijer KI, van Lienden KP, Maas M, Gerlag DM, Tak PP, Lebre MC, van Baarsen LGM. Myeloid Dendritic Cells Are Enriched in Lymph Node Tissue of Early Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients but not in At Risk Individuals. 2019 Jul 20;8(7).
- Hahnlein JS, Nadafi R, de Jong T, Ramwadhdoebe T H, Semmelink JF, Maijer KI, Zijlstra IA, Maas M, Gerlag DM, Geijtenbeek TBH, Tak PP, Mebius RE & van Baarsen LGM. Impaired lymph node stromal cell function during the earliest phases of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther 20, 35 (2018).
Full publication list: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=van+Baarsen+LG
Supervision of B-cellrelated awarded PhD’s
- Tamara Ramwadhdoebe: Immunoregulation by lymph node T cells during the earliest phases of rheumatoid arthritis. 2020 AMC/UvA
- Janine Hähnlein: Immunoregulation by human lymph node stromal cells during health and autoimmunity. 2018 AMC/UvA
- M.J.H. de Hair. Clinical studies and tissues analyses in the earliest phases of rheumatoid arthritis: in search of the transition from being at risk to having clinically apparent disease. 2013 AMC/UvA
Currently supervision PhD research of
- Reza Nadafi (VUMC; Prof. dr. Reina Mebius): Study the immunomodulatory effect of lymph node stromal cells in rheumatic disease
- Catarina Veloso Gago da Graca (VUMC; Prof. dr. Reina Mebius): Characterization of the immunomodulatory effect of stromal cells in health and disease
- Cristoforo Grasso (AMC; Prof. dr. Reina Mebius): Characterization of human lymph node stromal cells during health and disease
- Tineke de Jong (AMC): Stromal cell subsets in rheumatoid arthritis
- Janne Bolt (AMC): Patient perspectives of invasive translational research studies
Work package leader WP4.