Prof. dr. Reina E. Mebius
Dept. Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology, Amsterdam UMC, location VUmc
The work of Reina Mebius is focused on the micro-environmental control of immune reactions, ranging from lymph node development to immune reactions within cancer and autoimmune patients. Her team discovered how interactions between stromal cells and immune cells is crucial for the development of lymph nodes. This initiated studies into the role of the microenvironment on immune cells and vice versa, implicating diet and microbiome as important for the immune status of the intestine. Furthermore, they have shown that lymph node stromal cells are instructive in generating regulatory T cells, which control autoreactive B- and T cell responses.
Recent publications related to B-cells and antibodies
- Koning JJ, Rajaraman A, Reijmers RM, Konijn T, Pan J, Ware CF, Butcher EC, Mebius RE. Development of follicular dendritic cells in lymph nodes depends on retinoic acid mediated signaling. (2021) Sep 16:dev.199713. Online ahead of print.
- Bos AV, Erkelens MN, Koenders STA, van der Stelt M, van Egmond M, Mebius RE. Clickable Vitamins as a New Tool to Track Vitamin A and Retinoic Acid in Immune Cells. Front Immunol. (2021) Jul 8;12:671283.
- Gago da Graça C, van Baarsen LGM, Mebius RE Tertiary Lymphoid Structures: Diversity in Their Development, Composition, and Role. J Immunol. (2021) Jan 15;206(2):273-281.
- Koning JJ, Mebius RE. Stromal cells and immune cells involved in formation of lymph nodes and their niches. Curr Opin Immunol. (2020) Apr 20;64:20-25.
- Nadafi R, Gago de Graça C, Keuning ED, Koning JJ, de Kivit S, Konijn T, Henri S, Borst J, Reijmers RM, van Baarsen LGM, Mebius RE. Lymph Node Stromal Cells Generate Antigen-Specific Regulatory T Cells and Control Autoreactive T and B Cell Responses. Cell Rep. (2020) Mar 24;30(12):4110-4123.e4.
Current supervision of PhD research
- Andrew Morrison (3D model for human lymph node)
- Janna Roet (Mechanisms of lymph node stromal cell differentiation)
- Estefany Burniol (deep phenotyping of IBD patients)
- Eline Zwart (immune status of PDAC patients)
Member of WP2 and 5