Anne-Marie Buisman PhD
Center of Infectious Diseases Control, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment.
After my PhD at the Department of Infectious Diseases of the University of Leiden I started as an immunologist in further research on infectious diseases at the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM). Since 2005 I focused on memory B and T-cell responses to vaccine preventable diseases in vaccinated children. Afterwards several clinical studies on vaccine responses in both the young and elderly population have been performed. Since 2012 I am supervising projects on ‘ageing and immunity’. Nowadays my studies are focussing on frailty, co-morbidities, the susceptibility for infectious diseases and vaccine responsiveness in the ageing population.
5 recent publications related to B-cells and antibodies
- Samson LD*, van den Berg SP*, Engelfriet P, Boots AM, Hendriks M, de Rond LG, de Zeeuw-Brouwer ML, Verschuren WM, Borghans JA, Buisman AM#, van Baarle D#. Limited effect of duration of CMV infection on adaptive immunity and frailty: insights from a 27-year-long longitudinal study. Clin Transl Immunology. 2020 Oct 14;9(10):e1193. doi: 10.1002/cti2.1193. Both first* and last# authors equally participated.
- Samson LD, H Boots AM, Ferreira JA, J Picavet HS, de Rond LGH, de Zeeuw-Brouwer ML, Monique Verschuren WM, Buisman AM, Engelfriet P. In-depth immune cellular profiling reveals sex-specific associations with frailty. Immun Ageing.2020 23;17:20. doi: 10.1186/s12979-020-00191-z.
- Van der Lee S, Sanders EAM, Berbers GAM, Buisman AM. Whole-cell or acellular pertussis vaccination in infancy determines IgG subclass profiles to DTaP booster vaccination. Vaccine. 2018 Jan 4;36(2):220-226. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2017.11.066. Epub 2017 Dec 1.
- Van der Heiden M, van Ravenhorst MB, Bogaard M, Boots AM, Berbers GAM, Buisman AM. Lower antibody functionality in middle-aged adults compared to adolescents after primary meningococcal vaccination: Role of IgM. Exp Gerontol. 2017 Dec 26. pii: S0531-5565(17)30654-X. doi:
- Doedée AM, Kannegieter N, Öztürk K, van Loveren H, Janssen R, Buisman AM. Higher numbers of memory B-cells and Th2-cytokine skewing in high responders to hepatitis B vaccination. Vaccine. 2016 Apr 27;34(19):2281-9.
Currently supervising 4 PhD- students.
Supervision of PhD awarded researchers
- Hendrikx LH (dec 2011, UU) Pertussis vaccinations in Dutch children, memory immune responses.
- Van der Heiden M (jan 2018, UG), Strengthening memory immunity in the ageing population.
- Van der Lee S (april 2018, UU), Persistence of Pertussis immunity in children and adults
Member of work package 2 and 5.